About Us

The Church of the Nazarene in Gallatin, TN, began on July 12, 1936, when the church was chartered with 36¬†members. It was the result of many years of prayer meetings and tent revivals held in Gallatin by the Revs. Wood, Murphy, W.A. Peck, and L.B. Matthew (District Superintendent). Initially, the church secured permission to hold services in the jury room of the “Old Courthouse” on the square. Next, the congregation met in the Friendship House on Smith Street while they were securing property on which to build a permanent church building. The church purchased a lot on Prince Street where they built their first building. The congregation continued to grow and on November 9, 1948, the building on Prince Street was sold. That building no longer stands and today the property is part of the Crestview Towers.

Following the sale of the Prince Street church, the corner lot at 407 North Water Street was purchased. The members met in the existing house on the property until a new facility could be built. In 1952, the congregation constructed a new sanctuary on this site. This original sanctuary is still being utilized for ministry. On this same site a two-story educational building was constructed in 1956.

Realizing the need for additional land to accommodate future growth, the congregation purchased property located at 419 North Water Street. This .56 acre tract was eventually paved for parking space. In 1975, the congregation purchased two lots which added 163 feet of additional road frontage on North Water Street. With these purchases the church property increased to 2.47 acres. Sensing the need to expand the ministries of the church, a Family Life Center was built in 1981. This facility houses a gymnasium, a kitchen, and the church offices.

Our church is one of many Churches of the Nazarene located on the MidSouth District of the International Church of the Nazarene. We often join together with our other denominational churches for retreats and assemblies.

The International Church of the Nazarene

Founded in 1908, the Church of the Nazarene is a Christian, Protestant denomination that has locations all over the world. From its very beginning, mission work in other countries was so important that those churches are now part of our international presence.

What sets the Church of the Nazarene apart from other denominations is our focus on holiness. We believe in a second experience that happens after we are saved called entire sanctification. Through this second blessing, we are brought into a state of entire devotement to God.